Red Eyed Devil Owl pastel

                                                                   Red Eyed Devil
                                                                           8"x12"
                                                                            Pastel
Just finished this piece, its odd size is due to being a half sheet of Pastel Premier paper.  It is supposed to be similar to Wallis paper, made by same company and having similar specs.  I had always heard about how great Wallis paper was, no longer available, and wanted to give it a try.  Costs a pretty penny though.  I think I am going to like my other experiment, pastelmat, much better.

Anyway this is my second attempt and I find this a very unusual hard sanded surface. It absolutely hates pan pastels and their applicators.  So I had to go back to traditional sticks.  But I found that the surface really doesn't want to accept it all that well either as you can see in the background and foreground limb.  Must be something I am not doing correctly, maybe this lends itself better to using an underpainting which I will try the next time.

Anyway when I was pulling owl pictures that I wanted to try I pulled a couple with really unusual eye colors.  And yes, horned owls can really have bright red eyes.   Many thanks to Gary Jones, one of my favorite wildlife photographers, at PMP for this wonderful shot.

I have  another with green eyes that I am going to try and then I think I am going to try a new framing method.  Am going to mount them on black foam board up to an 11"x14" standard size, and then glass over the top, by taping together, making a sandwich of glass, picture and foam board.  Or maybe I will go larger putting them together in the same big frame?  Then hang them as a pair.

Thanks much for taking a look and have a super day.

Comments

Sheila said…
Sweet, scary owl :)
hmuxo said…
This is very nice Nelvia!!! I have worked with this paper before...not sure how I feel about it since I'm so used to Canson mi- tientes however when I did I used an alcohol wash after applying the hard and soft pastels.. Then it was easier...it was perfect if you're looking for an impressionistic look. I'm always amazed how you love to experiment on different mediums...
I think if you pair this with the green-eyed owl and frame them together you could title them 'the eyes have it' - lol. Doesn't pastel have to have a space before the glass to protect it? Good luck with the framing.
Nelvia said…
I love all the predator birds, I think them as majestic and not what they eat for dinner. :D)
Nelvia said…
I too have s worked mostly on paper just within the last year trying the sanded and velours. I am going to try the alcohol wash as that might really change the surface somewhat making it more receptive. I guess it keeps me out of trouble and I am always looking for what it is I see in my head. Haven't gotten there yet, so, oh dear, guess I just have to keep trying!!! :D)
Nelvia said…
Val, like everything you have varying opinions. I have read where more and more people are doing direct to glass but you have to really seal it all together. So best way to see if it works is to do it and see how it holds up. I also invested in a mat cutter but haven't tried doing that yet - but I do like the way it comes right to the glass so it is clearer without the mat.
Joan Tavolott said…
You did a great job on the texture of his feathers...and those red eyes are so dramatic. Doing a pair sounds great!
Jane said…
Great work on the feather and the eyes , really well done !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo