Special Delivery acrylic cat


Special Delivery
Acrylic
10"x8"
I seldom do any studies of a subject before I actually paint it.  That according to the guys that do it right shouldn't be the case.  The more you do a subject the more comfortable and familiar you are with it.  
I originally did this cat in the January 30 day challenge, see below, when I was concentrating on doing fur.  I knew I wanted to do him in this pose, just has taken me a while to get around to it.  I found a picture reference of the mailbox, got it sized to the cat and then kind of just made it be my own colors.  I think this is a decent composition with the diagonal of the box door leading to the cat and the flag acting as the eye stopper.  This is done on mat board, unfortunately Hobby Lobby no longer sells their mat cutouts, so pretty some I am going to have to buy full mat board sheets and then try to cut it myself.  Oh, another adventure!!

I do think that all the fur work I did in the challenge has helped me feel better and more confident in my approach, and while I think there are still individual overlapping areas the overall effect of the fur is that he is soft.  Always appreciate your thoughts and comments.
                                           Special Delivery study during January challenge
Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I love the way you changed it and added more of the mailbox and the red flag. Nice!!! Too bad they stopped selling the precut mats...they are so convenient to use.
What a fun painting!. It is always great to take unconnected references and make a charming painting - well done Nelvia.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo