Elliotte watercolor portrait

Elliotte



My friend was kind enough to let me try to capture his granddaughter.  Isn't she a cutie?

I really wanted to keep her  looking young and soft.   Still I felt I needed to add color as the photo  as it appears to be kind of washed out to me.  I like the photo and really wanted the emphasis to be on her, so didn't really feel it needed being changed up at all.  But, I really didn't want to age her.    I always have problem with kids and I think it boils down to getting the proportions correct, keeping them rounded and the chin.

She is going to ultimately end up at her parents house, so I am glad that they will enjoy her.  She was a challenge for me and I am pretty happy with the result.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

Sheila said…
Very sweet Nelvia. Her expression is spot on. And I think her skin is perfectly pink and youthful. Wonderful work my friend :)
hmuxo said…
You should be very proud of this portrait Nelvia. I can’t imagine doing it in watercolor....so difficult. Looking at the reference photo ... your friend will be very pleased.
Very nice Nelvia and I think adding a bit more colour was the right move. Kids are so tough and you did a great job!
Joan Tavolott said…
How precious! You did a great job on this, Nelvia. Your friend will love it.
Nelvia said…
Yes, I think I am getting closer to being more in line with many photos, some though, well, it isn't going to happen. But I also don't feel bad if she is close and has a little interpretation as well if it captures the essence.
Nelvia said…
Thank you Carol, are you happy with the class you are taking? I know it was slower going but isn't it a lot about feelings? Might be a good one for me for next year. I think the formats are kind of similar.
Nelvia said…
Oh Hilda, thank you so much. Means a whole lot coming from your experience in doing beautiful portraits. Yes, watercolor has been an arch enemy of mine, but I am going to keep working on it. Got oil lined up as a segment too, and that is another that you have to work slower than acrylic, so..... got to get the patience going.
Nelvia said…
Well as far as watercolor is concerned I like more color than less, I want that vibrancy. Trick is to keep it clean and means let it dry, dry dry. Thanks for the encouragement Val, much appreciated. Is it almost gardening time up there?
Nelvia said…
He is thrilled and it was fun to do her and give it to him. He in turn is going to frame and give to his daughter as a surprise. So hope they are pleased as well. You never know as a photo is just a shot in that moment and I haven't seen a lot of other pictures of her. I think if I ever got serious about portraits I would need multiple shots to try to find the little traits that make a person's personality

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo