Cat's Away? Mice Play!!! Finished

Well I should have waited until tomorrow to post this since I just put up something yesterday, but got in the art room today, zoned in and got this, I think, pretty finished.  I will let it sit on the board and probably play a bit with it, but think overall I am pretty happy with it.
Another new technique that I tried was to use on the mice graphite powder (simply shavings from sharpening my pencils) and applied it to the surface with a patting motion onto the heads and body of the mice and then drew in their hairs.  I think my experiment with the trompe l'oeil turned out too as I do think the mice look in front of the cat and that they are coming forward outside the frame.  Later in the week think I will spray it to hold the graphite in check (workable fixative) and then go to Binders to get a frame.  Also gives me a reason to see my picture in the show and all the other pieces again.  Also will look to see if there is anything else I have completed that can go into a square format that I can enter into the August show to see how it is received. 
Am trying to determine if I want to put some color into the cat's eye so that it pops out more than the mice eyes.  Wanted them really black and didn't want shine so they are charcoal and it's really black.  Pulls my eyes right away.  Thoughts and comments on whether or not to do it?  If so, should it be blue or green, hmmmmm?
Can't wait to see if I can find two more pictures that I can put together for a new reference piece.
Even got a bit of a smile out of hubby on this one.  Loved the humor in it and hope you get a smile from it today as well.  Thanks much for stopping by and have a great painting weekend.

Comments

Rita Vaselli said…
So cute my dear Nelvia!!! Well done with "esprit"!
Have nice Summer weekend ! Hugs and kisses,Rita.
Beatriz Abel said…
Nelvia, hizo un trabajo realmente muy interesante, la composición muy original, refleja el encanto gracioso de los modelos, bravo!
hmuxo said…
I think putting a "little" color in the eye of the cat would be beautiful since its black and white, Nelvia..... It will complete the painting!! However,...this is my opinion...
You did a wonderful portrait!!!
Nelvia said…
Thanks Rita, always makes me happy when I hear from you. Hope it made you smile. Will,raise my glass of wine to you and Danillo
Nelvia said…
Beti, así que es bueno saber de usted, gracias por el maravilloso aliento y buen comentario.
Nelvia said…
Hope that makes some sense in Spanish, never know with the translators
Nelvia said…
I like a pop,of color with the graphite and think it would highlight the cats intent, just subtle, not too bold, might give it a try. As you know not always happy but I am excited by this one.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo