Magnolia WIP

This year has been all about exploring, experimentation, reading, Youtube videos and trying to do the things I have read/seen about.  It is scary to think that I am within sight of this first art year of being really serious just flying by.  Way to much to learn, try and do. 
This is color pencil, but I don't think it really looks like color pencil, do you?  Think it has more of an intense watercolor feel to it. 
In Georgia we have magnolias, the king of flowers, some right in our housing development and I always love them when they bloom.  Also the other thing I love about them is the fuschias (did I tell you I LOVE color), lavendars, yellows and olive greens that are in the shadows of the petals.   Again this is regular color pencils, Prismacolor, Karat, Faber Castells, just a mixture of types of pencils, polychromos and wax based put onto the paper, dry as usual.  Then I am hitting it with solvent.  Supposed to be able to do solvents at each layer, but made paper funny and lost all shine, so am loading on the colors and then putting solvents on clean brush for each color and blending together.  To get the shine interest back I am then hitting it with light yellow or white in a burnishing type of layer.  Next picture I will adjust the background blue colors as they aren't IRL this bright.  As in all these experiments I am always curious as to how it will turn out - thinking positive right now as it's talking to me.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great painting week.

Comments

Alexander said…
how about orchids? much more beautiful lol. no i am very excited about that painting now.
hmuxo said…
This is so interesting, Nelvia! The colors are very rich.. not like colored pencils..
I like this very much... I look forward to your next post ..
Nelvia said…
Oh ooh boy now you hit my sweet spot. Orchids, have one growing for years now blooming on my bath tub, love them ,but mine aren't like magnolias. Got to talk again, home this weekend, you up,for it?
Nelvia said…
Hilda you are just the best, you are adventurous too. I too,like how it is intense in color, but blends more like H2O. Hoping I can pull it off.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo