Borrowed Time pastel portrait gorillas

                                                             Borrowed Time
                                                                15.5."x12"
                                                                   Pastel

Yes, I do get itchy when I go for any length of time and don't do something with pastels.  Still my first love as far as mediums go.  But I thought this was something I wanted to do especially as a direct impact of our visit to the zoo.  As I mentioned we did a trip to the Birmingham, AL Zoo and they do an excellent job of educating on animal conservation and the part zoos today play.  It was appalling how many species are going extinct or no longer exist in the wild, due to droughts, over population, destruction of habitat, etc.

Now, I am usually not much of a political or cause type individual, but I felt compelled to make this emotions and human-like behavior statement, it simply came together and demanded to be painted.   These animals needs our help and protection.  They say that 3 white rhinos are killed each day by poachers for their horns.  People what has happened to us?

I bought some pastel mat back in the summer after listening to everyone rave about it and really haven't used it much.  As you know I do a lot of pastel on MiTientes or now Ingres and wasn't really hot about the pastel mat.  I find it somewhere between the velour and sanded papers, but I did like it on this piece and think I have worked around what you need to do technique wise.  Still not sure I would say it is my absolute favorite.  Also, the majority of this is done with pan pastels - my new favorite pastels (just to mention even though I thought they were incredibly expensive, they have held up well and I haven't had to replace a pan yet, not even down well into the pan yet so worth every cent in my humble opinion).  Even adding pencil and tradition sticks I find myself blending with the applicators.  Where I have had spreading pastel issues in the past with the pastel mat I found I needed to use the large sponge type applicators and once it got some pastel on the surface things began to be movable.  I have to be honest and tell you that the numbers on the clock face were done with color pencils because I could get a sharper edge.

Oh yeah, this passed the hubby test.  I am going to have to take his temperature as he is really starting to like some of the stuff I am doing.  Go figure!!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

hmuxo said…
What a beautiful piece Nelvia!!! There is nothing more beautiful than the love between Mommy and baby!! I love the way the baby is looking up at his Mom. The fur is perfect.. I used pan pastels on the wheel fender of my last painting... It gave me the texture you need to create the rust in an antique car.
Joan Tavolott said…
This is awesome!!! I love the fur and the figures. It is a painting that just makes you smile at the tenderness between them.
A lovely painting Nelvia and a super statemnet to go with it. I think there has always been over-killing and poachers, and, of course, the environmental issues are not helping the situation. Well done on both counts for this piece!
Jane said…
Tenderness overload ! A wonderful painting Nelvia, a mother's love is universal .

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo