Boston Terrier - Scratchboard WIP



I had another picture of a Zebra by Gary Jones all worked up for an 11x14 board, got crossed eyed with the stripes and wimped out.  I was able to stop at the art store (oh my gosh - Binders - and it is wonderful, but could be addictive) and get some smaller boards.  So got both black and white 5"x7" 3pk boards so I could experiment without ruining a $7 board. 
This little Boston Terrier was Izabella's best friend, I don't know the name, but loved the look. 
So this is a bit different than the Eagle as it has a lot more large pure white areas and somehow I have to define the black areas and keep them looking black (like on the ears).  I really like the look of adding the color to these boards so will eventually add the pinks and gray tones too.  Got to get brave enough now to do the eyes and definitely you know I like color eyes against black and white.
I do want to post this up in B&W on the scratchboard forum on WetCanvas though to see if I can get some suggestions from those pros.  Adding the color does help camoflage some of the errors and stroke work.  Also on this piece I am using all the other tools to see what they do (at least from my limited usage), other than the Exacto knife, straight and T pins and trying to figure out what kind of a holder I could fashion for them if I like what they do.  They should have the ability to work in both directions, where the scrapers and knife only work well in one direction.
I am going to aim to get a number of these done and see if I can get into the ISSA (International Society of Scratchboard Artists)  You can join but have to be an active member to do some of their shows, need to have 5 pictures approved to become an active member. 
I actually like this process a lot, drawing or feels like carving out with the tools.  It is not making a negative picture exactly - removing the black brings out the lights and working on the white I think will be also pulling out the white, but color has been put on first. 

Comments

Het lijkt mij een moeilijke opgave ik wens je veel succes melieve groetjes Danielle
hmuxo said…
You're doing so well with the scratchboard, Nelvia. It looks like you need a lot of patience with this process....wonderful work and I look forward to your next post!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo