Zebra Scratchboard Update

Here is today's update on my Zebra scratchboard. Just want to clarify what you are looking at is the ear - hey just in case - which is laying back and beginnings of the mane on the top of the head. 
I am trying to figure out scanning as I think it will do a better job of showing the strokes.  Since I am working on an 11"x4" board my scanner can't take the entire picture, gets most of it, but ... I know some folks talk about taking multiple scans and then stitching the image together.  Anyone have any idea on how you might do that?  I will check YouTube videos for GIMP but it sounds intimidating to someone of the limited computer/photo program skills.  Oh, well, live and learn - necessity is the mother of invention, right?  If I figure it out will post.
Ok, pulled out a couple of new tools here, some little wire brush, that kind of is a blender and am using it as a cross hatcher for try to finish the long white stripe work, and then a fiberglass brush that takes off a lot of ink, hard to control not to take down too much - used that in the ear as it give a softer texture.  Also tried another wire brush that they think makes fur and grasses, but really found that hard to control.  The end is multiple wires and they kind of are an "S" shape at the end of a stick and is kinky like my gray hairs!!!   Trying them because I wanted to get a smoother look than just the individual line scratch stokes.  I also am going to have to take a hard look at doing cross hatching, but this fur is directionsl so I am kind of concerned about doing that - although everyone else (scratchboard experts) does it beautifully.  I have also added some watercolor CP shadow areas, to try to develop form, but see they still aren't showing up that well, so next time I am going to try diluted inks and just scratch out the highlights again if needed.
That's it for today as I am going to do some real painting now, just one color on the walls.  Ugh, but it is good once done as it looks crisp and clean.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great painting week.

Comments

hmuxo said…
It REALLY looks wonderful so far, Nelvia! and it doesn't look easy... I love watching the progression of this piece!!!
Nancy Goldman said…
I love your scratchboard drawings. I would be so afraid of making mistakes.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, right now I am feeling like I bit off more than I am capable of and the I lucked into good first pictures. My stripes are all wacky to the reference. Am down now to trying to draw in black and the so white around it. Also. It white stripes not as smooth as I would like. When I get this one done, think I will have learned a bunch.
Nelvia said…
Hi Nancy, one reason why I like adding color is that you can hide errors a bit. But the true scratch artists can produce such exquisite line work. With color as I told Hilda this can be forgiving

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo