Scratchboard Cheetah Update - NEED YOUR COMMENTS PLS

Here is an update on this white scratchboard Cheetah.  I am figuring it out slowly the whats and the hows and have since found out that I should have lightly sanded the board before applying color pencil, as the board is slick and smooth to start with.  Duh!!   So that is part of the reason I came up with such light color on the initial layering I guess.  Anyway, you can see on the right side where I am going, just getting in some of the final colorations and have done more extensive scratching.   Still a ways to go.  Seems to me that working on the white is more difficult and time consuming, but allows for more creativity since you actually put the color on.   Got to say though I am getting anxious and am going to get the Zebra on the board so I can start to dabble on that while I finish up this guy.
                                                       NEED YOUR COMMENTS:
For the last month or so I have added gems to a lot of my posts.   I have found and noted them for myself to remember through my studying, so thought I would share.  Most of these have come from Margaret Kessler's book on Color Harmony, an excellent book full of gems.  I have seen more people stopping by.  So I am thinking it is because of the gems - if you have enjoyed and would like to see these gems continue, please say YES.   There are plenty of more books, magazine and blogs that I need to read.  If it is annoying when you come to the blog and you want to see it stopped , say NO. 

                                                            TO BRIGHTEN COLORS
Don't just add white. White does lighten a color, but it also decreases its brilliance. Tube white is also very cool, and it will suck the energy out of just about any color if you use too much of it. When this happens, re-energize chalky hues with a touch of a warmer color. A few dos and don't for making tints:
1)  DO add a touch of yellow to re-energize pinks
2)  DO add specs of cool reds for lively lavenders
3)  DON'T re-energize your lavenders with reds containing yellow unless you want to neutralize them
4)  DO add a little yellow for pastel blue-greens
5)  DO brighten tints of greens, orange and ochres with a touch of sunny yellow

Comments

hmuxo said…
I think it looks fantastic so far, Nelvia! The first thing I see are those gorgeous eyes on the Cheetah....absolutely beautiful. Your work with the scratchboard is excellent!
Alexander said…
great work. YES. and.. did you get my last 2 emails? or were they lost in c space.?

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo