Mary Janes











I am sure that many of you have not heard of Buster Brown shoes or Mary Janes.  But in the 50s and 60s this was a big brand and every little girl had or wanted a pair of Mary Janes.  Leslie Saeta did some kids shoes in the January 30 paintings in 30 days challenge in January.  These are my rendition and I thought these would make a cute shower gift.  I still have several more that I want to do, but am trying to figure out the size.
My dilema is this, I started out at 5"x 5", see above, but found it difficult to come up with frames. 
Then I found the cute wooden frames, at my price $4.97 (yes I am cheap) at Walmart, lightweight wood that I painted my way, and had to go down to an image size of 3"x3".  Someone else had the opinion they should be 8"x10", but that is almost larger than life.  So what is the right size for these "pint size pics"?  Or anyone have some great ideas on where you can find reasonable frames in lots of sizes?   If 5"x5" or 7"x7" is custom then I have to go to standard sizes even though I really like the square format.
For the 5"x5"s, the black shoes are done in color pencil, and the ones on the right are done with acrylic and glitter on top.  In the frames - all of these are acrylic, with the background done with palette knife.  Oh yes, the nursery is done in lavenders and grays, so I put the pop of red on the outside and inside of the frame to pick up the pinks and fuchsias that are on each shoe somewhere.

Comments

Jane said…
Dear Nelvia , these are just the sweetest little shoes, an awesome shower gift indeed ! I wish I knew where to get cheap frames too , the ones you show are very pretty !
hmuxo said…
I remember Buster Brown shoes so well !! (showing my age..lol) I still remember when my Mom brought me to the store ..... they were SO comfortable...She bought me black and white saddle shoes.. as far as the frames, I have problems finding certain sizes...maybe on-line...? these shoes you painted are so well painted, Nelvia..I love them both!! Thanks for the memories!!!!
Alexander said…
i do not remember since i am too young for them :) but seriously my smallest painting size is 18*24 cm especially for food and i feel very comfortable with it. but i guess you would need something like 5*5 as the right size, since smaller is a bit hm but it is not too large. and for the frames... I am afraid I am much more cheapo than you. cannot understand why they are so hugely expensive
Those are adorable,a perfect shower gift!! Any little girl would love those shoes.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Jane, I hope they like them, younger folks so not sure if our tastes are the same, but sure no one else with give her shoes. :)
Nelvia said…
Looking back, how did we walk in them as soles didn't bend? Will add them to the list to paint.
Nelvia said…
Knew you would be toooo young!!! Might have to figure out how to make cheap frames. Ah yes I can see me now with electric saw, hammer and staples. Be afraid, very afraid
Nelvia said…
You will,have to give me tips on what the little girls are wearing now as you have front row seat with the new grand baby!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo