Zebra Scratchboard

 



Well off on a new scratchboard adventure, going to do Gary Jones photo from Paint my Photo, if you went to the original photo at http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/photo/zebra-close-up you would see that I flipped the image - don't know why, just thought I liked it better that way and it wouldn't look like everyone else who has done a pic from this photo.  Also I am right-handed and I think that this would benefit the natural rhythm of the strokes on the scratchboard. 
I went absolutely cross eyed when I drew this out and am already finding that I am changing up the stripes as I am working them.  Just trying to focus on one spot and work out.  Think too this is going to take a lot of freelance drawing as I definitely lost form when I transfered from original drawing to the board. 
You can see too that I looked up another reference photo of the eye so that I could put some life and color into it, also added the eye lashes - my artistic liberty I guess.  I love to start my animal pictures with the eyes. 
I am not sure however that I will add in the browns and siennas on this picture as that may just be indigenous to this type of zebra, not all other reference photos have I show so much brown. There is however a lot of shading that is needed in this photo and right now starting out with CP but might switch it up to watered down ink if I need to go darker as I am not seeing what little shading I did add around the eye on this picture.  But before I go crazy I am going to scan the board in and see if it shows up better that way.
Am going to the Birmingham zoo soon so will note the coloration on their zebras - good thing about color is it can be added later if I don't put on the sealing spray. 
This is a larger piece, 11"x14", same as the Golden Eagle, but lots more scratching will be required on this piece so expect it to take some time as I am feeling my way with this short haired critter.
Thanks or stopping by and have a great painting week.  All comments and critiques from second pairs of eyes are appreciated.

Comments

It looks like you are off to a great start.
hmuxo said…
This is going to be a gorgeous piece, Nelvia! Zebras are SO beautiful and the perfect subject!!
Jane said…
The eye is already fantastic, you are off to a wonderful piece , looking forward to seeing the progress !
Nelvia said…
Thanks C, always feel good and strong in the beginning, just fall apart as I get further into it!!!
Nelvia said…
I thought zebras would be perfect. I am thanking my lucky stars I am just doing one and not a here of the. Having stripe problems, like which is the right stripe and is it black or white
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, thanks for checking. I love to have the eye looking back at me, adds immediate life I think to,the picture.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo