Constatine - From Life

 
Well the drawing from life saga continues.  Here is Constatine, from yesterday's life drawing session.   So much to choose from and focus on when you are at the blank easel just looking at a person and a blank piece of paper.  I changed up this time and added color working with pastel, definitely changes things.  While my photo reflects the yellow light, at every break I was saying, "I'm going to add more red".  He is Greek and had a swarthy complexion.  This definitely took me the full 3 hours, and I only hastily added in his shirt.
I see too, with photos side-by-side, that his head is tilted a bit, I didn't catch that.  If I darkened the under chin/neck area and emphasized the angle toward the ear that might actually help get this piece looking closer - but I think the actual distance from mouth to ear along the jaw line is too narrow, so not going to mess with it but chalk it up to an experience.
I realize that next time I am going to have to concentrate and focus on measurements and angles.  Might have to go back to charcoal, to get the dimensions and work on the likeness. 
But overall, for the second attempt at a model from life, I am happy. 
We had a large group yesterday of 10 artists.  It is amazing how the jazz is playing, feet are tapping, people singing or humming and you could hear a pin drop.  Until the breaks, then everyone stretches out, remembers to breathe and chats.  Positive reinforcing and not a lot of suggestions coming my way yet, but we are getting more comfortable.  Really am enjoying the heck out of these experiences.

Comments

hmuxo said…
You should be SO HAPPY with this portrait, Nelvia. You did so good.. I have tried live models but I just can't do it...maybe if I had continued the classes instead of giving up I would have done better...keep it up...! I look forward to your next portrait.
Nelvia said…
Hilda, thank God for pastels. They are so forgiving, funny, I am using a newsprint tablet, thought so what cheap paper, but boy does it hold layers, was surprised. Could do this every week, but it is exhausting and I can only take it once a month. Most are painting in oils. For me, oils, never
Jane said…
You got a very good likeness, well done Nelvia !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo