Curiousity & the Cat - Scratchboard - New Work Space SetUp


This is a shot of a young Cheetah by ESP of the UK from Paint My Photo, I have had it printed out for a while and wanted to give it a try (but of course I can't find it, drat).  I am doing a couple of different things here on this project and I might say it is taxing me!!  Only thing I am really liking so far and kind of done with are the eyes.
1)  I am doing my first piece on white scratchboard.  Here I have put down colored pencil and it was just too light, so now am going back and adding color in with watercolor pencil, so that I have some color to scratch down to the white and reflect against.  Think I need to put in several more layers, then do a first scratch and layer again, repeating the process until I can get the fur look I want.  Not sure yet what the heck to do with the background as I have little splats from my pencil that will need to be covered.  Right now I am liking the black board better - but persevere.
2)  I usually work from a printed sheet of a photo, well that costs $$$ for the toner, paper, etc. and also the colors you get aren't aways accurate to the photo, just to the printer defaults.  Also you have to have a filing system that allows you to find it when you are ready to paint.  So out of necessity, since I can't find the reference printout, I am trying to utilize my ipad, which many people do.  So now I am trying to work the pad into into my painting set up (sorry for the mess, but that's real life in my workspace) so the pad isn't at risk from dripping water, eraser dust, pastel dust and any other potential life threatening things for an ipad.  But it needs to be easily seen while I am painting.   Anyway it is slightly different to work from but I think it will be something that I can adapt to.  I don't read and catch mistakes on the screen, so I was concerned that I would have an issue, but think it is worth the difference.  Ah, just love that you can blow up a section for the details and see the color and light that you don't get in a printed reference picture.  Seems to me that it had a bit more dimension than a photo on flat paper.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a great weekend.

Comments

Alexander said…
there is no further comment necessary for your art work. your animal paintings and drawings are really first classe. you HAVE to show them around in galleries... no need to hide your talent there

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo