Mohave Point Grand Canyon WIP

Will have to start this post again as I lost it mid stream GRRR.  Anyway, it is still chilly outside, but we dodged the bullets the last couple of days for sleet, ice and snow - just bone chilling cold.  Was supposed to get warm enough to go out today and I had my sights set on getting a walk in, but.... no sun so still pretty cold.
Worked a bit this morning on the raccoon trying to get the eyes to pop out more, dreamed of a solution last night, so will post him when I get a bit more work done on him.  Am thankful for the internet as I think you can find just about anything on it.  Mike VI is resting on the board, I have been tweaking him - got to slap my fingers as I am tending to overwork him.  Going to let him sit and dry and hope to do the first coats of varnish end of next week, fingers crossed he will be dry enough.  
So that leaves me with going back and working on the Grand Canyon.  This study was going to:  1) be an experiment in working with oil glazes, those will come pretty much at the end, so right now you see quite a bit of color in the base layer.  Everything behind this front range is pretty much in shadows. 2) getting shadows to be more in the violet/blue grays, no the stark black/white grays and also not so in your face dramatic shadows, but full of colors like you see with the eye and not the way the camera sees it, 3)  save the detail for the front range and mid to background not a lot of detail.
Anyway, thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having a great weekend.

Comments

This sounds like a real challenge - very complicated. I don't think the size of the photo is doing the painting justice but I look forward to seeing your progress and the finished piece.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo