Mohave Pt WIP

This is the beginning of a study of Mohave Point, Grand Canyon.  Val mentioned working in oil on a small scale so I thought I would kick it up a notch as I wanted to do this picture in a larger size and maybe it is easier working with oil on a larger scale.  While I was thinking 20x20 on some canvas I got, this is actually6 16"x20" because I didn't have the courage to do it on the canvas yet.   I would like to do this without a lot of the details that I seem to get so caught up in and that appearedin my last Grand Canyon pictures.

So it begins.  I think on this I am going to experiment in doing a combination of brush and palette knife work to see if I can get the technique back.  The rocks are made up of different strata so I want the layers look.  If the sky appears to be dark it because there was just a storm and the photographer caught the fantastic canyon colors, the sun coming out strong and two rainbows.  I am hoping that the transparent oils will make a nice faint see-through rainbow.    I see where I am going to have to repaint white over the back rim layer so the rainbows can stand out again.  Going to be fun and flying by the seat of my pants on this one.

Thanks for joining me and stopping by to check in.  Have a great weekend.

Comments

renate said…
Hi Nelvia:) Again you are busy I see. The color of the sky is gorgeous and I am very curious how the Rainbows will look. The Grand Canyon is by now familiar territory for you, so you will certainly succeed! Did you finish Mike yet? Lots of fun with your painting. Kisses en hugs:)xx
Hi Nelvia - lots of fun and challenge for you with this one. I love the sky and can't wait to see the rainbows. I have a student who wants to paint a rainbow - in watercolor! So, I guess I will have to start practising to figure out how to do it so I can teach her. I look forward to seeing your progress on this piece.
Je zit op de goede weg ga zo door het word prachtig let maar op lieve groetjes Danielle
Nelvia said…
It always surprises me how fast you forget so hoping I find the way fairly soon. The colors in this one is different than what I have done. Always something to learn from this awesome place.
Nelvia said…
Surprised how much color is in that gray sky. I too am going to experiment with the rainbow, please let me know what you figure put. I just want to make it transparent, not opaque.
Nelvia said…
Hi Danielle, each picture is such an adventure. Trying hard to make fewer strokes but create the image. Will see how it goes.
hmuxo said…
Looks like another challenge Nelvia. I can see already that it's going to be another winner. I love the sky and look forward to seeing the Canyon come alive.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo