Raccoon WIP

Well finally warmer, but rain, drizzle and fog today.  What a winter and we got it easy compared to the Midwest and Northeast.  So this morning first up was the raccoon.  Am getting the hang of doing a layer and then letting it dry for a day or so and then going back in for the next rework.  Guess that is why the posts look so hodge podge because I am working on a couple of things at a time. 

I know that the raccoon eyes are really, in life, much darker, but it just looked like two big black holes, so hard to get any character.  Had to look on the internet to find the structure of the raccoon  skeleton and eyes - never thought I'd find it, but there was quite a bit of information available.   Nothing like learning a little anatomy.  Surprisingly found they have slanted eye look with the outer skin creating the midtones to better define the eyes (who knew) so sure am glad I looked.   But think this still reads dark eyes while still being able to actually see them.  I might selectively darken portions, remember am using glaze techniques on this, once I get to the tweak stage. 

Ok, right side is pretty much complete, except for ear, and left has the base in coat in.  That is the darker side anyway.  Call me crazy but I just love doing the tongue, that little pop of pink I think adds so much. 

Hope you are enjoying your Sunday and thanks so much for stopping by for an update.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Wonderful ...wonderful work, Nelvia.....I love his eyes!
Jane said…
Enjoying to see your update, really coming along gloriously !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo