Long Way Down WIP

Here is a just fun piece, wanted to just let loose today and do a pastel as I have been spending so much time working on learning oil.  Just get dusty!!

So here is Long Way Down, 9"x12", pastel, on terracotta color sanded paper.  I saw on PMP an artist who used a similar vivid background around a cow and it gave me the idea to try this - really added a bunch of life to the subject and drew your eye.  I wanted to make you feel the hot African day.  When we were at the Birmingham zoo I took a photo of a baby giraffe who was bending down like this, never thought about how difficult and creative they have to be to just get a drink.  I am using a couple of additional reference photos from PMP, Kathryn Hansen has the best spot work photo. 

The big challenges in this piece will be getting the intricate pattern on the coat and also trying to get the glaze of the water in the mud - plus I wanted to see if that "red hot" sky could work.  I am thinking this is going to be a pretty busy piece, but I don't think it will clash, hoping the giraffe pops out, from the vertical and horizontal lines, as while there, they aren't exagerated.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.

Comments

renate said…
Goodmorning (here it is early in the morning):) Nelvia:) Ooooh this is so nice already! The colors of the background are beautiful and warm. Like you say, a real African sky! This baby giraffe is so cute:) They have to go a whole way down to drink a bit and you show that so well. I think this will be one of the most beautiful paintings! Great work on the water and reflection too! Keep on going dear, you do so well. Have a nice day. Kisses and hugs all the way from the Netherlands:) xxx
Jane said…
This made me smile, so cute :-) Lots of light and gorgeous warm colors...just what you wanted to achieve , a really great start !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo