Wolf WIP

Well I am in hogs heaven because I have so many pictures going right now, and about to start another pencil drawing (going back to one of my first loves), that no matter what media or subject I want I have something to work on.   Well realize after I said that I better get something going in pastel.

Again of all the animals I have done I haven't done a wolf and you certainly can't be a wildlife painter and not do one of these animals.  They are revered, hated, arbitrarily killed, vicious, great pack hunters, pack lovers and smart.  How can you not want to do this animal?

I again am experimenting again in oil with trying to do another technique.  This method does the hair literally one by one.  You can see I have the base coat in and now I am going back and trying to layer in the fur.  Has taken me a couple of tries to figure it out.  Sara Stribbling and a couple of other artists make it look soooo simple - well NOT.  This is so funny, I think, but Sara's father, also an artist is the one I was studying who does oil in very loose strokes.   And Sara, ended up after growing up with her father's influence, doing this very delicate and intricate way of doing wildlife - almost exact opposite. 

After a questionable first start I have decided to start at the top of the head and layer the hair down.  Still not sure if that is going to end up the right way, but will put in the other ear and hope for the best.  I have to slap my hands and not tinker with the eyes because I really really like them right now.    Just say NO Nelvia!

Thanks much for stopping by and hope you see something you like in all the paintings I am working on right now.

Comments

Your wolf is looking great.
Fur is such a challenge whether you are working in watercolor, pen & ink or oils - good luck
hmuxo said…
The eyes are amazing so don't go near them! Lol.... I can see already that you're doing a wonderful job with the fur....take your time... The results will be perfect.
Jane said…
The wolf is looking great already, good luck with the layering, it will be fine, I'm sure !
said…
es hermoso
adoro los lobos
Alexander said…
very nice and very well hit. but we all know you really are an artist in painting animals. and a great one
Nelvia said…
Marga, gracias yiu para pasar por mi blog y mucho thajs para dejar un comentario sobre, wokd y. muy apreciado. Yo kniw muchos encuentran lobos un peoblem, pero me inteogue.
Nelvia said…
Hanks for looking, you have done some beautiful wolfs. Know they are a problem if you have livestock but they are intriguing animals
Nelvia said…
Hi Val, oh yeah, that is why I keep looking for a solution and trying different techniques as there has to b one that will so sisterly work.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, I am slapping my brush hand as we speak. No touch eyes, that is my mantra. I am starting to like the way he is looking, guess it just takes lots of small strokes and many layers.
Nelvia said…
Hi Iane, let's say this tests my patience but I think I will like the end result. I need to go back and rewartch the videos closer on this technique.
Nelvia said…
Hey A how are you. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. I sure appreciate the compliment.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo