The Wizzard - pastel portrait

                                                                        The Wizzard
                                                                           12"x15.5"
                                                                               Pastel
Since I have been doing so much experimentation I felt the need to do something more substantial.  I had done this head in a smaller ATC version using color pencil.  But knew I wanted to try to do it in pastel and wanted to use my new skin tone techniques, see if I could transfer it into pastel.

I used a piece of pastel mat for this piece.  I haven't been such a big fan of it, as I grew up using mostly paper supports,  and find that I have had to learn how to apply pastels in a different manner when using it.  I did use pan pastels for the background, and ended up applying it with paper towels and I do like the rougher texture that it gave, something that you usually don't associate with pastel.  I really mulled over how to handle the beard, it had so much light hairs in it but am really happy with the result here.  In general, am pleased overall with this piece.   Not sure if this is channeling Dumbledore or Gandalf, but he reminds me of a wizard, so hence the name.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
This one's really good, Nelvia. This series of old faces is one of my favorites that you've done. This face tells a story... many stories.
Joan Tavolott said…
I am so impressed with the way you handled his face and wrinkles, but the beard is awesome!!! I like the new look to your blog.
Nelvia said…
Yeah I was scar d of how to do it, but I did an ATC and kind of winged it there and applied that to this
Nelvia said…
I thought no that is why notifications went away as they are working on blogger a lot right now. This is one of the new templates so thought I would give it a fo
Love the wrinkles and the beard, well done.
I like this piece Nelvia and thought it looked familiar when I saw it on FB - I have the ATC!
the new format is very clean looking and I hope the nonfictions work with this one.
hmuxo said…
Beautiful work Nelvia!! Awesome wrinkles and wonderful beard! I'm amazed at how fast you paint!!!! (:
Sheila said…
Amazing work Nelvia! I love the texture, his skin, hair, the look in his eyes. Stunning all around!!!
Jane said…
Amazing work on skin , wrinkles and beard , and what an awesome look in his eyes ! Afraid I repeat what everyone else wrote, but so it is :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo