Car Grille - New Scratch WIP

 
Well can't really decide what I want to do, I had pulled 7 reference shots of things I wanted to work on.  So am going to start several of them and then work on what I feel like at the moment.  However, I looked at them all and thought, what was I thinking as some of them are pretty complex now that I really look at them.
Even though I have the pig CP piece which is in process I am getting called to start another scratchboard.  I am finding that each scratchboard is so different as to how it takes the inks, this one is showing the marks I make with the brush pen and also you can see the graphite outline that I am using as a guideline.  I see things already that I will need to correct, but am remembering this is the first layers and shadows still need to be added down the road.  While I am apprehensive about doing a car which I know little about, I felt I should give it a try.  I really like the photo which is from Paul Jones at PMP.
Ok, I'm reading again, so here is some information from Karen Marguiles on how to take better reference photos.
TIP:  To get exciting photos photographers wait for what is called a Golden Hour and the Blue Hour. The Golden Hour is when the sun is just above the horizon,such as just after sunrise, and just before sunset. The light is warm and things just glow, remember lemon yellow, cadmium yellow medium and cadmium yellow deep. The Blue Hour is the time just before sunrise and just after sunset when the sky has colors such as rich deep blues and purples, cadmium red deep, dioxazine purple and ultramarine blue.  At night, after this blue hour the sky becomes an uninteresting inky black.  Both of these times create conditions that are ideal for taking reference photos or getting out to paint.

Photographers often wait to take their photos for the Magic Hour and plein air artists often avoid painting during mid day when the light is flat and uninteresting. Whether you paint en plein air or just take photos to work from....waiting for the Magic Hour will give you much more interesting possibilities for paintings. Even a garbage can can be beautiful when glowing from a setting sun! The problem is the Golden and Blue Hours are not precise and don't always last very long. Here are a couple of tools to help! 
jekophoto.eu/tools/twilight-calculator-blue-hour-golden-hour/

Comments

hmuxo said…
Wow! I can't wait to see your next post on this car grille, Nelvia! This looks like a challenge...
Nelvia said…
Not too sure that I didn't bite off more than I can do, but a reward if it comes together. Los of shiny chrome and reflections, so hoping to practice with my fiberglass brush an exacto knife.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait