Car Grille Scratch Update WIP

TGIF folks, almost the beginning of a new weekend.  Yesssssss!!!
This little 5"x7" piece is coming along.  You can see the tools that I am using for scratching.  The red handled ones are from Ampersand with the one on the left being the fiberglass brush.  I made the middle tool out of a double ended stylus that is used for pottery, just ground off the little balls on each end to make them pointed and I like the fact that I can work both directions.   I am using some diluted ink to color in shadow areas, although shadow areas don't look all that shadowed - so might need to darken those areas several more times.  I keep fussing with the grille and need to move on to other parts so that I can put it into perspective with the other areas of bright chrome and shadows.  Working with the ink is different than anything else,  I am used to being able to move, lighten or leave and the ink on the clay doesn't quite go where I want it to.  I can't quite get the dilution right either so it's cover and scratch, cover and scratch.  Next time I am going to try water colors or maybe it just takes practice.  Can't image how much trouble it will be when I try to mix from the basic five colors Ampersand gives you.  Might try again with the alcohol markers to see how that goes or break out the trusty pastels for the shadows. 
Hope you have a great weekend, thanks for stopping by.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Amazing process, Nelvia! Glad you're taking your time... I can see it's going to be a beautiful. piece..
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, glad you have confidence. Always this far in I am worried I will ruin it before I get what I want to in the end.
Jane said…
Looks like you're off to a very good start, keep it up Nelvia, the subject is fascinating !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo