Zebra Scratch - I Call it Finished

Well I think I am ready to call this scratchboard piece, 11"x14", completed unless someone sees something glaring that needs to be corrected.  Only thing I am concerned about is whether or not I need to make the bottom stripe on the chest area smoother to match the others in the neck and face area.  I think the answer is going to be yes, but your thoughts please.
 Again I want to thank Gary Jones, a wildlife photographer superb, on the PMP site for this wonderful reference picture that I flipped to create this view.  I actually thought that turning it this way would help me with my natural right-handed strokes.  My husband, on showing it absolutely hated the way it is cropped, so I am thinking everyone else will like it just fine. 
I finished this off with a bit more pastel highlights in the black stripes as well, just to add a little color interest and jazz the black up just a bit.  Still unsure if I should spray and seal the entire piece (spraying pastel usually darkens it and I like the way the white clay comes through the pastel dust) or just put under glass.  I have asked an expert and will go with his advice. 
Already have decided on the next piece to try - man this is addicting stuff.  It is going to be another black board and will be from a reference photo Paul took at the Birmingham zoo last weekend. 
I am finding that if it can scratch it is fair game to use as a tool for scratchboard.  Here are two tools that I liked using on the Zebra.  The left is actually a pottery tool, a double ended stylus.  It originally had two little balls on the ends that I filed off to make points.  I like the fact it has a thicker wood grip so my hand doesn't get so tired and it can scratch going both directions.  The other item is Pentel's brush tip pen that has replaceable ink refills.  Ink spreads on like a dream and it is easy and clean to add more ink by just inserting the cartridge.  It was a huge lifesaver and worked better than other black ink pens on correcting my errors and better covered those annoying white lines.  I had white lines going everywhere as when I transferred from my cartoon it didn't  mesh with the reference photo and I had to redraw all the lines.

Comments

Alexander said…
you are gifted. great picture.period
hmuxo said…
Congratulations, Nelvia on a beautiful piece!!! You worked very hard to create this and it certainly paid off! To be honest, I wouldn't touch a thing.. !!! Let us know if you put it under glass...curious!! I look forward to seeing another one started!
Jane said…
To my eye this looks perfect and really amazing, I wouldn't touch it anymore !
Nelvia said…
Cut it out, you are going to give big head. Thanks A
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda, my expert says seal and no frame , so going to give it a gey
Nelvia said…
Well votes are in and hubby is wrong(again). Thanks Jane for your thoughts and advice
renate said…
Dear Nelvia:) My hubby is talking to himself: "she is so darn good, she is so darn good" looking at your painting on Face Book. I, afcourse, agree with him. You should earn more fame. This is so darn good!!!!
Love and kisses:) xxx
Nelvia said…
Oh. Ow both of you are Sweeties. You are all sooooo good to me. Just a big relief it is done and over. Now afraid, can I repeat it again? Going to seal it and have floater frames coming, will post when framed with no glass. Wasn't that just special on PMP? Love ya
Nancy Goldman said…
This is so beautiful Nelvia. I love the way you cropped it and wouldn't change anything. You've really found your calling with the scratchboard.
Nelvia said…
Hi Nancy, well that is what this year is about, trying to find my voice, so the experiments abound. Glad you like it. Overwhelming is that Paul was incorrect on the crop so he is coming off of it. I really like the scratching, but want to be sure to keep doing other things too. Don't you just love art?

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait