Zebra Scratchboard Update - New Tip

Tried two different image ways here with the scratchboard, left is a scan that I have corrected because it was too dark, the other is my digital camera which even without flash on tends to bleed away the stokes.  Am going to keep experimenting with best way to capture the image, I think I am going to have to figure out an outside setup and see if natural light does a better job of picking up the scratching.  I think IRL is somewhere in between the two as the black board does reflect light more than absorb it. 
Ok, I think I found a system now and am emphasising, for me, the black stripes, which creates a map on the board so then know where to find the white stripes.   Well sort of as I am redrawing pretty much as I go, you can see with with the white lines I originally had.  I think in the future I am going to just put in some main placement points and then free hand draw right on the board rather than try to transfer an image and have it be wacky, like this one did.
Also this is just the first, second or third layering (depends on the section).   I still will have the finishing diluted ink shadowing and scratching work to do but thought I would wait until I get all the stripe lines in and then reaccess based on body curvature.
                                                              STUDIO TIP
When I worked I always had this little white board by my monitor, adding/changing passwords, doing quick math calculations, an odd note, etc.  Now I have brought it into the studio where I am trying hard to get more planning focused and organized.  A while ago I posted pre-painting questions you might ask yourself about the picture you want to do. I have noted these in both a spiral notebook but am also putting on this board so I can easily see each day what I was intending.  Helps me remember why I am doing this picture and you can see a quick thumbnail of the overall stripe directional pattern and hair direction in the right-hand corner.  Once the picture is done, erase and move on to the next one.  I think too, for my color work I can note color recipes while in the heat of the battle to copy into my spiral notebook later.  Think you can find these boards at dollar tree stores for $1 (may not be superb quality, but come on at $1, use it and throw away and replace when necessary for $1) and know you can get dry erase markers there for $1. 
++TIP:  Remember too, if you accidentally use a permanent marker on one of these boards you can erase the permanent marker and ghosting by applying dry erase ink on top of it and then erasing - should bring your board back to clean.
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo