Zebra Scratch WIP

 

 
My once a year illness has been on track and whatever Paul had he shared some derivative with me.  Boy it was nasty stuff, but am feeling better today and hoping that I could get more work done on the Zebra.  Getting nice out so got to go to the porch.
Here is my current revisions.  You can see I really had to redraw a lot and essentially have lost the original drawing.   Not sure how it happened but it is off and hard to find something in the reference to pin to.  I have got to get some new white Saral tracing paper as this waxy film just doesn't come off or cover now that it has been on a while.  the other option is to use the gray I have and see if it stands out on the board - can't be any worse than this white junk.
Again you can see with the contrast corrections on the scanned image the reflections off the board.  Boy have I got a lot to learn with this both with technique and photographing.  I simply was lucky the first couple of boards.  Wishing now this was a smaller board or that I could cut it back as I am outside the photo reference ones all around so making it up as I go
My new plan is to put in all the white stripes and then go back and then put in the shading and rescratching again where needed.    For shadows am going to brave up and use diluted inks this time.  Right now I am leaning toward using use a bit of the brown, tinted with red and yellow to make it sienna like, just so I can get some definition on some of this. 
I am alternating on hating this and then rationalizing it thinking it looks ok, so don't know how it will end, but do know that I am going to finish this dude regardless.  For whatever reason this looks better in the scan than IRL, now that's just depressing!!
Thanks for stopping by and hope all had a great weekend.

Comments

hmuxo said…
First of all, Nelvia, I hope you're feeling better!!! I love the progression of this piece... Keep it up...it's coming along beautifully!!!!
Jane said…
Good to hear you are feeling better now , and this zebra is amazing already, great job Nelvia !
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda, think I am back to 100%. This one isn't fast, but learning never is I guess.
Nelvia said…
Thanks much Jane. Parts I like and other parts, well, trying lots of strokes and hope that doesn't throw it off down the road

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo