Featured Artist - Renate Arends

 One of my pastels
Over the last couple of years I have met some wonderful artists, but more important they have been wonderful, supportive people.  Hope you get to know them better and check out their sites over the next few weeks.  I asked each the same questions, in bold, and am too learning more about my friends and artists too.
 
The first artist is Renate Arends, 47 years, happily married and living in the Netherlands.  Her occupation is a detective at the police in Emmen, the place where she lives.  But working and art isn't enough, they have a new baby!!!!
 
1.) How long have you been doing art - how did you get started?
My art experience started in 2003. In this year I was very depressed and tried to end my life. For recovery I was given occupational therapy and could choose what to do. I chose watercolor painting. I loved it and started painting at home. And, voila, I still doing it today. It gives me peace.
one of my first paintings
2.) What has been the biggest surprise or thrill you have had because of your artwork?
My biggest thrill so far is the discovery of Yupo. Yupo is a synthetic paper, such as photo paper, on which you can create the most beautiful effects.  Nowadays there are many people who use Yupo, but when I used it for the first time it was not well known.  Not all subjects, I find, are suitable for Yupo and also not everyone finds it beautiful. So far I love it.
owl on Yupo
3.) What is your favorite technique?
So far, I've used a few times other techniques such as acrylic and pastel, pencil and charcoal. I found it all beautiful, but my favorite technique is watercolor.Although watercolor actually is meant to be quite watery to paint with, I always say that I paint with watercolor as others do with acrylic paint. I once made a painting of Jesus with about 15 layers of paint to achieve the desired effect.
Jesus
4.) What do you want to accomplish in the next 3 years with your art?
I actually have no special requirements. Of course I would like to make my profession of art but I am so realistic that I know that is not possible. For the time being I enjoy occasionally exhibiting. Who doesn't want to be known and share their art with the world?  I assume that my art will be famous after my death, as with many grand masters hahaha. Just one of my watercolors
5.) Do you participate in social media to promote your art, if so, any tips for others to try?
Since 2011 I have a blog where all the paintings I have made are shown. Through this blog I met a lot other artists. I also have a facebook page where I occasionally show a painting. Moreover, I have self-published a printed a book of 15 x 15 cm (5.5"x5.5") with a hard cover and glossy pages. This is completely filled with examples of my paintings. I always carry this booklet with me and if people are interested I can show them a large number of works. Because of this I had gotten a few commissioned works. 
 6.) Other blogs you follow and would recommend to check out.
I think there are about 50 blogs I seriously follow. There is one that is my favorite though - that's Midori Yoshino from the United Arab Emirates,midoriy.blogspot.com/.  Her style is so wonderful and her themes are related to the country where she lives. Her art is never boring.
my latest commission
7.) Links to your blog, facebook page and website
My blog is to be found on this address:www.renatearends.blogspot.com. Because of health issues I haven't done a lot of painting this year, but soon it will start again. I hope you will visit my blog.
 
Renate is currently painting left-handed as she heals from a recent surgery, but after a year of various health issues, this is a wonderful start.  Now that is truly a dedicated artist!!!!!
 
 Next week on Friday the featured artist hails from Austria.  He is a super guy with a personality as bold as his painting style.  Hope you enjoyed meeting Renate and thanks for stopping by.  Have a great weekend.

Comments

renate said…
Well, well, well, what a great nice article you have made of it. I am shy of. So strange to read about my self:) Thank you Dear Nelvia. I'm very curious to know who the next artist is. I wish you will be a featured artist yourself so we can learn a bit more about you too! xxx
Alexander said…
great article yes, but the most important fact is the "baby" soooooo cute
Nelvia said…
I bet it does seem strange, but hopefully feels good to share your struggles, triumphs and fearless courage with all. Love ya Sweetie. Tune in next Friday to see who is next. I think if I run out of artists and if folks seem to enjoy, I will do this as well.
Nelvia said…
Isn't he just the sweetest thing? You be next my friend.
Helen said…
I LOVED this! I've seen Renate's name often over the years as she's commented on other's art. And, I've seen all her replies to you over the years (as I'm reading through). I've visited her blog, but it's in another language. Through this little interview, however, I'll now have a "person' in mind when I see her name again.
H

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo