Beauty WIP

Ok, here is the update on my progress. I still need to learn how and more practice working in the shadows to keep it smooth just like when you use the harder pencils.  The softer graphite throws out spikes of graphite and give you little dots and the impurities in the paper pop right out.  I guess I could eliminate all of that if I would just use charcoal the next time.  Plus other advantage to charcoal is I won't get the graphite shine.
As you can see I decided to add in a darker background and am in process of adding the dark graphite - I have several more layers to add and then I will pull it out using a paint brush - I did that on the shadow behind her head, burnished it and that tends to take out all the white spots. I also was hoping that if I brushed it out then I wouldn't get a big deal graphite shine.
I also added color to her face but it really isn't showing up so much, so might change up the color to a more orange yellow and see if I can get a little bit more color in the cheek areas and then will also use that on the shoulder that is closest to us.  Trick is to be sure you have a SHARP pencil and a light pressure and touch.
That will leave me with the hair and guess the key here is to not overwork it.  So I'm going to start with the 2B pencil,  laying in the graphite first, then will have to be really careful with the color pencil.  Might try it off paper and test adding the color pencil first and then putting the graphite on top of it, that should eliminate the smear factor.  If I don't get too heavy of a waxy layer on the paper the graphite should hold.  Maybe in the future I should only do bald people eh??
Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.  TGIF!!!

Comments

hmuxo said…
This is amazing, Nelvia! It's coming along so beautifully...! I look forward to seeing your next post.
Rita Vaselli said…
Great job, dear Nelvia. The problems are completely different from watercolor. I read and I understand the whole, but I do not understand enough to be able to give advice !!!
Each technique full of secrets, and these secrets are even variables, because the pressure of the stroke, for example, is an individual factor ...
so everyone has to find his personal balance with what he has in his hands, in his mind and in his heart.
Great challenge that fills our days, we are lucky to have so much passion for what we do !!!
Your beautiful woman comes out well and I feel that soon I will see the finished portrait ...have nice week end!
Nelvia said…
It seems that since the processes I choose take so long it always surprises me how much different each post looks. You see it all together in your mind's eye, but ...
Nelvia said…
I have seen you have been super busy, sorry just haven't had the time to post as regularly as I should. Yes, it seems that each style has so much to learn to overcome. I think you can read, but only way to go is to just practice and do it. Yes, we are fortunate to not only have passion for our art, but for live in general. Has really hit home to me this week how precious our time is and how much we need to appreciate what we have been given. I wish I could come up with a great title, but one still eludes me. Have a great week my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo