Beauty

Beauty 11"x14" Graphite/Color Pencil
Well the experiments by trial and error continue and there are a lot of things going on in this experiment.  I am trying to work with the applying graphite in a highly realistic manner using the 5 Pencil Method as outlined by Darrel Tank. By the way I recommend you check out his site thefivepencilmethod.com.  Tons of information on there via videos that are also posted on YouTube.  It feels like taking a workshop as he does a lot of critiques and takes drawings from one level to another while he teaches what to look for and how to think as an artist.  Just excellent!!
I also wanted to use a photo that I had gotten from PMP quite a while ago, although I didn't get the link and just looked and didn't come up with the image.  It called to me because it looks like B&W with just tints of color.   Made me think of old time photos that were tinted, think it was back in the 30's and 40's, predated color photos. 
Trying to utilize 5 pencil lead hardness types and getting it on in a tapered stroke and many layers.   The pencil rides on top of the paper support and using the tapered stroke allows for seamless gradiations from light to dark.  Seamless being the operative word and happens only if you get the stroke right.  Measuring the heck out of everything's placement, looking for angles and still got lots more to do. 
But of course I cheated, I just couldn't wait to get some color in front of me when I am laboring over this for hours and hours so had to put in the eye and the lips.  I probably have 5-6 hours in this as this method isn't fast.   But the results are awesome.  Fingers crossed.   More to come.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great painting week.

Comments

hmuxo said…
The touch of color is perfect...nice work!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo