Pool Balls II ACEOs

Well took a short break here and snuck off to the mountains and got some cool weather.  Atlanta has been hot hot hot and humid, sticky, yuk!!  Just happened they had temperatures with lows in the 50s and highs in the 60-70s.  boy, sure could take a whole lot of that.
Today I am still working on the pools balls and tried yet another experiment - this time the ACEO is done on translucent matte Dura-lar which has a frosty look to it.  You don't want to draw your outline or guidelines on this as they won't erase or disappear.  So I ended up using my drawing pattern, which is on tracing paper, with the mylar clipped on top of it.  You can clearly see the drawing under the mylar and can pull the mylar easily off to color on both sides.  You can compare the one done on black paper with the mylar and see that I got more vibrant color.   The black paper just ate up the color.  I like the black background but need to solve how to get vibrant colors that pop off the black.  I went with a dark green/black, one color on each side, to make the pool table on the mylar piece. Am going to do one more of these ACEOs on my gray tone paper, which also doesn't have much tooth and then compare the 3.  I still like this reference photo and am going to do a larger version one of these days.
The mylar doesn't hold much color pencil at all, at best maybe two layers, non-Prismas seem to work best, but you can work on both sides of the paper getting say a total of 4-5 layers.  I believe this paper was originally developed for drafting work, when it was done by hand, and is an acetate film that will work with pen, lead, ink, paint and colored pencil.  It gives the ability to put in very sharp lines and detail.  Also I think colors will change based on what paper color is used behind the mylar, this gives a whole other dimension to this process of what the colors look like.  Here I just used white but when I do the gray tone I'll put the mylar on top of it and see what I get for colors.  Should enhance the shadows I think.  I am going to use it to do several more ACEOs so I can get the feel of it and then try one of my animals on it. 
So, thanks for stopping by and hope you're happy it is Friday!!!!!

Comments

Alexander said…
that is a nice piece of work. nice light reflection.
Nelvia said…
I think the reflections are what I liked best and of course pure bright colors.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait