30 Day Challenge #18 - The Conversation

                                                                     The Conversation
                                                                               10"x8"
                                                                         Oil/Matboard

Rothko - watch out and move over!!  Here is my official first abstract.  Inspiration hits at the strangest times and while I have been playing with abstract backgrounds never thought I would do a painting.   But ...  Listening to AHA radio show, Leslie Saeta's weekly Artists Helping Artists show they mentioned a resource where you  could get title name suggestions and one had to do with perky conversations.  Well this painting jumped into my head, couldn't get it out so here it is.  Don't know if this is perky - dear reader you have to determine what this conversation is about - I know I have my idea!!!

I put two coats of gesso on the front and one on the back of a piece of matboard.  Gesso does three things:  1) prevents the oil from seeping through and 2) creates a good adhesion for the oil, 3) coats on the front and back is hopefully helping preventing warping or curling of the board which happens when the gesso dries - same thing should be done on paper.

Also other thing I tried was adding some Liquin (the original formula) and mixed it with my dry water mixable oils and voila, smooth and liquidy (not sure that is a word except in my vocabulary).  This was also practice with palette knife and smearing and cutting to get slivers of oil on the knife to paint lines.  This is something I need to practice because I'd like to do this as background/foreground grasses for my big cats.

Thanks for stopping by and hope your weekend is just what you want it to be.

Comments

Rita Vaselli said…
I love the rythm of your sign ,colored on the darks.
sidmar said…
This is beautiful:)
Alexander said…
I always use Gesso, because it makes the canvas smoother.
That is a really interesting abstract painting. I like it.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo