30 Day Challenge #21 - Grand Canyon Study

                                                            Grand Canyon Study
                                                                          7"x5"
                                                                           Oil
Ok, back in the saddle so to speak.  I have a picture of the Grand Canyon I want to do, on a 20"x20" canvas, which is huge for me.  So I am doing a few studies using oil and also trying to get the feel again for the technique that I need to show the rocks and strata layers that make the Grand Canyon so unique.  As you can see this isn't as tight as I usually work, so also am trying to get that looser feel, but my looser tends to end up fuzzy, hmmmmm.  I probably am going to have to do a couple more studies, maybe some of the actual reference, just sections, to work through problems.  I am struggling trying to get the colors I need because I have such a limited palette.   I think I can use some regular oil colors with the water mixable, but then it changes my clean up.  I really do like just doing the soap and water bit.  But in this I did add some linseed oil  (amazing what you find when you clean up) and Liquin and already finds it does leave an oily film. 

Yes, since it is January (organization month), and also because I am spreading dust like crazy with all the pastels (and I find the velour paper and the sand paper create more dust than when I use regular where I smush it in) I thought I better thoroughly clean the art space.  Hmmm when did I do that last?  Maybe a year ago??  No wonder, heh?  So while I am getting things put in containers, trays, tubs (for easy  moving), etc.  I am not getting a picture a day done, so I sort of cheated yesterday and used one of my tonal studies.  Well Leslie says goal is to paint daily, I am but just didn't get it finished.

Comments

hmuxo said…
This is a beautiful study and such a great idea to do before you start on a large canvas. The Grand Canyon is not an easy subject and yet a subject you can use all your colors ...so you'll enjoy painting it. I can't imagine painting daily. They say it's a good practice but I know I couldn't do it...lol
Nancy Goldman said…
I love this Nelvia. I can't wait to see the large version. The atmospheric perspective in this is wonderful.
Meredith Adler said…
It's a wonderful study, most of us would call that a painting. More realistic to do this size than to paint such a big canvas for the 30 in 30!
Tam Foree said…
Nice landscape Nelvia. This is wonderful!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo