30 Day Challenge #29 - Lioness

                                                                        Lioness
                                                                          7"x5"
                                                                 Pastel/Sanded Paper

This is the same lioness I have used for several pictures and as I line them up she doesn't look the same in any of them.  This time I tired making my own sand paper support, get this, using clear gesso on paper (because it is paper be sure to put coats of gesso on both sides as it reduces curling).  I guess when you check both white and clear gesso, each have a certain grittiness, but clear seems to have just a tad more.  I think too, that is why most canvas has gesso coats, to give the oil/acrylic something to adhere to.  It makes a pretty rough surface so I gave it a try.  Again trying out an abstract background - still have no idea of why or when to put colors, just getting rid of the white of the paper.  I know there must be some rules about this but haven't found anything other than most artists saying they go with the flow.
It is at this time of the challenge that I have gotten a funny feeling, because today we are at day 29, meaning only 1 day left.   You have been pushing so hard and the daily painting habit is in grained that it seems there is this big void (after you recover) ahead.   The end is something I have been wishing for now for about two weeks, but now that it is here .... well, we are weird us humans.
Thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having the best week.

Comments

hmuxo said…
She's lovely Nelvia. You are very brave to make your own sand paper...but the results are beautiful!!! Wonderful pose.
Whatever you did, it worked really well. A wonderful piece!
I think both of the paintings that you did of this lioness have been wonderful.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, I wanted to try the paper and think it is a bit finer grained than traditional purchased, am doing to try it again, maybe on mat board which has more strength.. Thanks for stopping by and your pastel work is so awesome that when you like something I take notice.
Nelvia said…
Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated at this point in the challenge. Will take the time to go through your blog, I just love the title and can't wait to read how you got where you are today. Love your looseness.
Nelvia said…
Thanks C I think I will do her again because I am getting familiar with her now, want to try to do a looser stroke version in oil.
Meredith Adler said…
Such a strength in her gaze, yet a sweetness to her features. What a beautiful piece...Yes, just one day left to this challenge, yet you have your art, your gift, your artist eyes in each moment that you choose to use them...from this day forward...:-)
Jane said…
This is really beautiful, love the warm colors and the glare. I agree, when you do abstracts you just go with the flow and your background is gorgeous...could stand alone .

Popular posts from this blog

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo