30 Day Challenge #23 - Night Train

                                                                     Night Train
                                                                        9"x12"
                                                 White Color Pencil/Artagain Black Paper

I pulled this photo off of PMP quite some time ago, but knew immediately when I saw this Ruth Archer photo I was going to have to try to do it.  I have a spreadsheet where I pull the link and photographers name so you can easily give attribution to the photographer.  Well, I couldn't find who did this or locate it in PMP for a while, but it was featured again, so thanks Ruth for this shot.  I think I will do it again, larger and when I have more than one day to complete it because I just love bringing out the lights from the dark support.   This like buildings, is quite a tedious and hard challenge for me as you have the perspective thing, and there are lots of straight lines, things that (should) line up and are really structured.  I guess that is where I go wrong as it takes time to do structure.  Also it is tough on black to get the drawing down so you can see it but not corrupt the support if you misdraw or don't get the detail just right.  I was listening to an artist on AHA radio yesterday, and her comment for the reason she paints on black gesso is that she can pick out the lights right away rather than the traditional way of putting in the shadows.  Guess that is why I like a black support too, not only the drama, but you see immediately where you are going.

TGIF, thanks for stopping by and only got 7 more days - YESSSS!  Yes I am finding myself mentally tired from the pressure of having to try to come up with something postable every day.  I do paint most days, but not completely finishing a daily pic that I am proud of.  I don't know how the folks who have done this for years do it and then still have time to work on larger pieces.  I guess I might try to pick too complicated things to try to finish in a couple of hours.   Oh well ....

Comments

Meredith Adler said…
I would say you pulled this one off beautifully! And I agree, it's less tiring to paint daily without the stress of the challenge...but I do appreciate the social aspects of the 30 days, like meeting you :-)
Tam Foree said…
I agree with Meredith. A real beauty. You have definitely captured the drama of the moment!
Marty Shively said…
Very interesting & well done
Jane said…
I really admire how you come up with such interesting and different subjects every day , this is awesome ! Working white on black never occurred to me, but I love the effect !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo