30 Day Challenge #13 - Really!?

Really!!?
9"x12"
                                                                              Oil
I just love the expression on this Boston Terrier's face.   Oh yeah, if a dog could talk!!  This is Izabella's best bud and came as part of her reference photos.  Previously I did this dog on scratchboard and thought I'd try him in my new found medium of oil.  Also to surprise my hubby I thought I would do most of the body as I usually do the heads and he always asks why not the complete dog.
 
If I continue in this I am going to have to either replace my water mixables or get some real oils as these tend to get pretty dry and gummy buildup if I use it thick in places.   That might just be the nature of these types of oils and not using oil medium it may always be drier.  Of course I am just using matboard pieces as the support and not canvas so not sure if that would make a difference either.  Not sure how long it will take for these to dry and since they are on paper, should varnish.    One is on the canvasette paper.  Maybe for paper you don't varnish and just frame??  Anyone have knowledge or experience?
 
Still just putting in the background randomly, have no idea why or where to put colors, am doing a bit of reading right now so hopefully there will be some rhyme or reason in the future.  I still am not working as loose in this as I would like so I need to keep working on that.  Also I am hoping that the shine on his black hair is represented.   Hmmm, do you think you could put oil pastel on top of the oil base tones?  Might give that a try.
 
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a good week.
 
 

Comments

hmuxo said…
OMGoodness, Nelvia! this boston terrier is beautifull! You did an amazing job with this little guy!!!
Tam Foree said…
Nelvia, You captured this little girls personality so well. Lovely gesture. As to your question about adding pastel on top of the oil, it might work if the oil is at least tacky. I don't know about it longevity as you usually don't put oil under glass. Maybe if you spray the pastel with a glaze after the oil is thoroughly dry/
Nancy Goldman said…
I've never tried water based oils because I've never found anyone that likes them except Leslie and she uses a palette knife so the consistency probably isn't an issue like it would be when using a brush.
I've always wondered since they are water based if there is any oil in them or are they just a slow drying type of acrylic like Golden's "Open" acrylics. If they had oil in them, wouldn't you have to use a solvent to clean up? I don't know. I think I'll stick with my oil paints and acrylic paints as separate mediums.

I really like how this turned out. You say that you're not sure what to do in the background but I think your background is very successful here. I like the bits of yellow and orange. They give a nice punch to the painting.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo