Pretty as a Penny WIP

Well here is today's update on my portrait in progress.  I pretty much have most of her face based in and will probably need to work some more on the background adding some glazes as I would like that to be smoother.  Overall, I am surprised at how fast she is coming together, guess this is going to be one of those who wants to come out of the paper.

Funny how it always happens, when you look in the mirror or put the photo onto the computer screen all the issues jump right out - I see I have a nostril size problem.

I am debating whether or not I am going to glaze the face to smooth out the complexion variations or let it stand as it might add more realistic skin tones to this portrait.  I thought about trying the old masters way again, with underpainting, dead layer painting and glazing, but didn't continue in that direction although I want to do another painting in that method.   The more I learn about how they worked the more I realize I don't know anything and that they did so much with what they had to work with.
Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

Meredith Adler said…
So impressed that you are pressing on and continuing to Challenge yourself while the rest of us rest! I am watching with interest, so impressed (I don't know how to do faces). Looking forward with interest to more installments of this WIP.
Jane said…
This is coming along really well, what a great job ! Really admire how you painted the teeth, I find them so hard to do , and in fact if you notice , my portraits are rarely showing their teeth LOL .
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, I am with you I always avoided teeth too. This time I just plunged on and I am pretty happy with the mouth area. But there are so many other things in a face that need addressing. Whew!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo