The Call Day 23 30 Day Challengeg

                                                                           The Call
                                                                           20"x16"
                                                                              Oil
Well woke up this morning to no electricity, cold and snowing - I thought we were going to luck out but we are getting a dusting and high winds.  Winds got the tree which got the lines and so it was darn cold, but luckily they got it fixed after a couple of hours and I am hoping it stays that way.  Feel for those guys who have to be out functioning in this weather and wind.

Finally I got this one pretty much done.  This has been on and off the easel since October.  This has ended up being a combination of several reference photos which always is a challenge for positioning and lights and shadows coming together for a unified source.  Main reason was I was working in oil again, and for me I have to let the layers dry or all I get is smear.  And the other main reason is to do or not do a background - backgrounds are my nemesis.   Not sure if this is really done, I might make the moon larger and do some more work on the mountains, but .... This piece is a companion piece for Heeding the Call.   This has taken me several challenge days to get it completed but I like how the background creates some depth.

Thanks much for stopping by and stay safe everyone in the storm zones.

Comments

Jane said…
I swear, I can hear them howling ! They look great to me and I like the background which suggests you where they are . Some paintings just don't come easy, I too have some waiting for months to get finished :-(
I think the mountains are great - leave them alone - lol. If you make the moon bigger you will have to add highlights to the rear end of the little wolf and maybe more on the big one. I wonder how it would look if you took the moon out and just lightened that part of the sky to indicate that the moon is just out of the picture. Hope the weather improves for you and that you don't have anymore power failures - take care.
Meredith Adler said…
WOW! Nelvia, it's great!!! I mean, this is a WOW!!!! So happy for you.
Nelvia said…
Oh Jane, what a great compliment as that means they look full of life. I guess when you can't focus you start a lot and takes a while to finish. I think you learn the most when you finish the hard one.
Nelvia said…
Hey Val thanks so much for your auggestions. Am going to think about making those changes. I love that you stretch my vision. We are finally warming up before we get real cold again, but power is on, yessss!
Nelvia said…
So glad to hear from you, hope all went ok with your 2016 blizzard. We had 1/2 in snow and cold. With wind, blew down trees, so no power. Realize that you need power to do everything. Did you ever see the email where I showed the pathetic background direction was going. Sorry to whine to you. Thanks much for your aupport.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait