30 Day Challenge - Day 1 Mugshot 1

Mugshot 1
Well today begins the first day of the September 30 day challenge.  I decided to go ahead and participate, and am pretty sure I need my head examined.  But I always get so much out of it, especially if I can get myself past the third week.  I already know that participation will be to a limited extent as when we get to the end of the month I have lots going on.  I have started a few paintings at the end of August for those "can't get it done/I need a break days".  So we'll see how it goes.

Decided to try to do a theme this time and that I would work on miniature portraits.  I hope I haven't over extended myself.  So they will be probably in multiple media and are going to be 4"x4"or 4"x5" on either paper or mat board.  Listening to an interview with Karen Jurick she mentioned that all mug shots are public domain.  So thought that might be a good way to get an assortment of different shapes, sizes, colors and expressions (however, am going to try to stick to low level crimes).   I still haven't figured out how you could smile if you were getting your mug photoed in a police station, but I do look for those folks.

I know I watch the nightly news and know there are lots of things happening, but had no idea how many people are mug shot every day and I am just looking here in Georgia.  Yikes.

So it starts, this is graphite and white pastel on Artagain paper, which comes off as a dirty white.  Know already that this probably isn't going to be the way I want to go, but I was a little intimidated when I was thinking about working in paint and in  so small a format, maybe later.  

Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoy this journey with me and that at the end of the month we  can see some improvement in capturing flesh tones, getting the likeness and proportion.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Great start Nelvia....interesting theme!!! I look forward to seeing many more..
What an interesting theme! I think it will be fun to watch your progress. Good luck Nelvia

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo