30 Day Challenge - Day 17 - Auberge du Tresor WIP

Ok so I am deviating from the mugshots for a few days, but got to keep me sane and keep it interesting.  Interesting it is and I am excited about this picture for several reasons.

1)  First I have painted mostly on paper,  not canvas, and felt it was time to make the change as it simplifies framing issues and you can work larger.  Well, I got some deals when I went to the Goodwill store.  I always check for frames with mats or large size frames, but this time I got a bunch of decent sized canvases, 12x15" or larger for $1.91 apiece.  Yes, as you might recall I am cheap, cheap, cheap.  But I am just learning so recycled canvases seem ok to me.  What I did was sand this one down and then recoated with several coats of gesso with the last one being tinted with burnt sienna.  Yellow ochre, burnt umber and white and raw sienna and white are normally used depending on what is going on top.  I have also heard of people using red beneath as well.
2)  When I do these challenges, to give my brain a rest and get inspiration, I tend to watch YouTube videos.  I saw one from Will Kemp where he did a Paris cafe in relatively loose brush work.  So I got pumped and remembered we had taken pictures in Old Quebec City of Auberge du Tresor - had several local beers there as me and my feet fondly recall.   I had taken these photos with the intention of painting them one day.   I haven't worked a lot from either Paul or my photos, but I am discovering, while not from life, seeing the photos does bring back the experience.  You can hear the horse hooves clomping down the street, hear the buzz of conversation, feel the air and remember the park across the street.  It  just brings a different life to the picture I think.

Anyway back to Will Kemp, one of the things he really advocates is toning the canvas, especially when working with acrylics.   He thinks the undertone shines through, you can see that in the stucco work, and also it covers you if you get a little skinny with the paint and it gets a bit scratchy.  He thinks it gives a more finished look to a painting.  He then started applying the darkest darks and then layers on the additional colors.  So here we go.

Already I am fighting with myself not to get too tight and prissy with the windows.  Unfortunately they have all these panes in them.  The two I have in now I used a piece of bristol scrap to make straighter edges, but think I just need to put them in freehand and let it stand as is.

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Nice change Nelvia! The buildings are nicely painted as well!!
This is quite a change from the mug shots but I really understand the need to switch things up. As for buying used canvases, I have done this a number of time and sometimes I didn't even gesso them - just painted right over what was there - my undercoat I guess. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo