30 Day Challenge - Day 3 - Mugshot 3

                                                                                     Mugshot 3  4"x5"
Well it didn't take long did it until I got into the paints.  Got lots of things going on here that I am going to have to get worked out.  I have downloaded John Howard Sanden's color receipes and am going to try to use them along with his style of painting the stroke once (John Singer Sargent was the absolute best at that).  Yeah, good luck with that.  I usually end up massaging and smushing color glazes over it until I get something close.  But, that is the goal and we'll see if by month's end I can get closer to actually making that happen.

Sanden actually has a couple of flesh midtones, shadows and highlights premixed along with a minimum of 3 grays.   His colors come out much more orange than I am used to but am going to post what I have already finished and then try to incorporate his colors.   He also uses green and cerulean blue so I might finally find a use for this weak blue.

All advocate working with larger brushes than you are comfortable so I am trying that as well and boy there is not control at this point.   Will just keep plodding on.....

Thanks much for stopping by and hope your weekend is enjoyable.


Comments

Helen said…
I know that all who I admire say that... "paint with brushes bigger than you are comfortable with" ... but sigh... it's just so... so... uncomfortable!!
I'm trying!
H
Morning Nelvia. Not only do you pick a difficult subject but now you are throwing in new colour techniques - brave girl!
Nelvia said…
I guess it is good to be uncomfortable and it does keep you from the detail. Will just keep plodding on. Thanks much for checking.
Nelvia said…
Hi Val, yes I like the challenge and since I have low result expectations I figure I might as well try it all.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo