30 Day Challenge - Day 7 - Classic Ride

 
                           Classic Ride
                               9"x12"
                               Pastel
Well woman can't live with just doing mugshot portraits.  This was done for this weeks DPW challenge of autos.  I don't usually work from my own photos, as picture taking isn't my strong suit.  But this was the perfect opportunity to do this car that we saw the last time we were in the mountains at Lineville Falls, NC.  This was a bold car just shouting to be looked at and admired.  We did.   It had been lovingly restored, we think it was from the 1920's.  The owners were driving the Blue Ridge Parkway the way it was meant to be driven.

I have been working on giving picture frame suggestions and since I sell mostly unframed, give an idea of what it would look like when finished with mat and farm.   What I would really love to do is to put the paintings in room settings, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.  I am sure there must be some app or program out there that does it for you, but most of what I have read requires Photoshop and I just am not sure that I want to take the time to do the learning curve.  Also think it is getting harder to get royalty free room environments.

Anyway, back to the Rolls, this is on sanded paper and I used primarily pastel pencils.  I have given up the sharpeners and now and am using a knife to open up more of a pastel length on the end of the pencil.   So far, so good, have all my fingers.  I have been thinking about my art direction and I am going to focus some more on my pastels and see where I can take them as I have let them kind of lapse while I was working with trying to use brushes.  Might look to see if I could find someone locally to work with a bit - Karen Margulies (be sure to check her daily blog - she is terrific and offers many tips that can be applied to all types of painting, not just pastels)   is in our area and extremely talented, but I am not sure I want to do landscapes.

Well thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having a good week.

Comments

What a super job on the car! It is fun to try other media but many artists feel that there is always something to learn in their primary medium so that is usually their focus. Isn't it great that there are so many artists we can learn from - in person or on-line. Have a great day Nelvia.
Jane said…
This is a fabulous car , you really overdid yourself , pure perfection !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo